Dye Experiment in Microwave


It occurred to me in the middle of the night that the calculations I did to turn my Grey Spoons into decimals were really just decimals of a teaspoon. Math is not my best subject, and you know how much math one has to use as a weaver–and a dyer. I do all my dyeing based on percentages of the weight of goods. So, first thing this morning I figured out what the grams or fraction of a gram each spoon is. Then I labeled each tiny skein and the jars with the percentages so I could
have good records. Then off to the microwave. Actually it worked pretty well, not great, but good enough to get information for dyeing the “real” skeins. Hope to get started on that tomorrow.


Since I already had acid water in the big pots outside, I put that into the quart jars and brought everything inside. I put each skein in its own jar and heated for 5 minutes. I took the jars out, stirred gently, and added the appropriate amount of dye, stirred again, and set the timer for 5 more minutes. To exhaust the dye, I used a total of 10 minutes in the microwave and then let them set in their jars until they cooled–almost. I was able to do 5-6 quarts at one time. If you click on the pictures of the yarns, you may be able to read the labels and see what the percentages are. If all goes well, tomorrow I will have skeins in colors that will work.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *